AEW’s “ALL OUT” was a spectacular show with excellent professional wrestling matches, title changes and surprise returns.
But the real show took place at the AEW ALL OUT post media conference where CM Punk proceeded to go off on Colt Cabana, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Hangman Adam Page and more.
Since joining AEW in 2021 CM Punk has increased AEW’s revenue, ticket sales and merchandise sales but he also has caused a locker room division.
CM Punk had/has major issues with Colt Cabana (Scott Colton) since the lawsuits with WWE senior ringside physician Dr. Christopher Amann.
Dr. Christopher Amann Sued CM Punk and Colt Cabana as the case stemmed from an episode of the popular The Art of Wrestling podcast published in 2014. During it, Punk told the host, Cabana, that Amann was responsible for Punk suffering a Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) staph infection. Punk also blamed Amann for providing medical treatment that caused a supposedly large lump on Punk’s back to worsen. Punk, who is one of the most popular and recognizable fighters around, also linked his health problems to his controversial decision to leave the WWE in 2013.
In the podcast hosted by Cabana, CM Punk spoke about his medical issues and treatments that led to him walking out of WWE.
Here is an excerpt of Brooks’s comments during the podcast:
After the European tour, the whole European tour I’m dry heaving after every match … I’m on all fours after every match and I’m either puking for real or I’m just dry heaving because I don’t having anything in my stomach. I have no appetite. I don’t know what is up and what is down. I can’t sleep, I can’t [expletive] train. Doc—Doc is giving me—Doc’s like, ‘Oh you’re sick, here’s a ZPak.’ They Z-Pakked me to death, so much that in December I [defecated] my pants on a SmackDown because that’s what antibiotics do to you, right?
CM Punk won the civil trail in 2018 but the falling out with Colt Cabana ensued as Cabana filed a lawsuit against CM Punk for breach of contract after claiming the former WWE champion offered to cover his legal fees during the case with Amann.
Cabana’s lawsuit contended Punk promised to help him out with the legal bills they amassed fighting the defamation lawsuit. Cabana claimed Punk told him in a text that he would be ‘100% covered.
According to Cabana Punk had failed to keep that promise, leaving him with unpaid legal bills totaling $513,736, according to the lawsuit.
Punk asked Cabana to pay half of the legal fees, which comes out to $256,868, saying ‘You are on your own.’” Cabana sought a total of $1.2 million in his lawsuit for general and exemplary damages. CM Punk and Colt Cabana settled in the lawsuit in 2019.
Fast forward to 2022 and CM Punk is not happy about rumors of him getting Colt Cabana fired or demoted to Ring Of Honor have surfaced and took heavy shots at the AEW Executive Vice Presidents Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks insinuating that they were speeding these rumors about him since joining AEW.
CM Punk also blasted Hangman Adam Page due to his promo against CM Punk which Punk believes was uncalled for.
“What did I ever do in this world to deserve an empty-headed fcking dumb fck like Hangman Adam Page to go out on national television and fcking go into business for himself? For what? What did I do? What did I ever do? Didn’t do a goddamn thing. It’s not [Tony Khan’s] position to make it very fcking clear [that Punk didn’t have anything to do with Cabana being moved to ROH]. There’s people who call themselves EVPs that should have fcking known better. This sht was none of their business. I understand sticking up for your fcking friends, I fcking get it, I stuck up for that guy [Cabana] more than anybody. Okay? I paid his bills until I didn’t and it was my decision not to.
I’m trying to run a fcking business. And when somebody who hasn’t done a damn thing in this business jeopardizes the first $1 million house that this company has ever drawn off of my back and goes on national television and does that, it’s a disgrace to this industry, it’s a disgrace to this company. Now, we’re far beyond apologies. I gave him a fcking chance. It did not get handled, and you saw what I had to do, which is very regrettable, lowering myself to his fcking level. But that’s where we’re at right now. And I will still walk up and down this hallway and say, ‘If you have a fcking problem with me, take it up with me.’ Let’s f*cking go.
After the media conference CM Punk and The Young bucks got into a heated shouting match where security had to get involved. No video or pictures of that incident have been released.
The question of all of this being a “shoot” or “work” and has been questioned multiple times since the conference.
As AEW ALL OUT wrapped up AEW officials sent for all media personnel to go to the ALL OUT post conference and was hinted to media that “You are not going to want to miss this!.”
The idea of this being staged is not out of the realm of possibility as Tony Khan continues to prove that he will use real life situations in current AEW storylines as a way to drive up fan interest and ratings as he did with the MJF walkout situation.
There is huge mind game being played between AEW and the Wrestling Media and the lines are being blurred between shoot and worked storylines.
There are some parts that are true but there is definitely parts that are being worked into storylines.
Now as the smoke clears Slice Wrestling will break down what we know as fact, what is real, exactly where things stand and who is on who’s side.
• CM Punk: As the new AEW World Heavyweight Champion he will go into a program with MJF. The drama with Hangman Adam Page stems from Page being in the Dark Order and taking Colt Cabana’s (Dark Order member) side. There is a huge revolt against CM Punk right now in the AEW locker room but many talents are being kept in the dark about what is real and what is a storyline.
• Tony Khan: As the AEW CEO/President Khan is focused on making AEW the top wrestling promotion in the world and keeping his locker room in order. As things stand Cody Rhodes leaving has thrown a huge crack in the AEW armor and now with Triple H in charge of WWE, Tony Khan feels his back is against the wall. Plans are for outlandish and reality based storylines to drive AEW programming in the upcoming months/years.
• the Elite: As the EVP’s who were targeted in CM Punk media pipe bomb they are at a cross roads. The new AEW Trio Tag-Team Champions are not happy with Punk’s comments and speculation began that The Young Bucks and/or Kenny Omega threatened to “leave” AEW even though Kenny Omega’s contract ends in February 2023, The Young Bucks recently signed a new AEW contract extensions making them “All Elite” until January 2024. AEW in essence is their company and they all have prestigious positions within the company. A CM Punk & FTR vs the Elite is the current working plan at some point in the coming months.
• Hangman Adam Page: Adam Page stands firmly with his Dark Order members and the heat with CM Punk is real. Tony Khan has sat both men down and has made it clear that even tho the two sides don’t like each other, they will act professional. Tony Khan would also like to spin this real-life heat into a Hangman Adam Page vs CM Punk match.
• FTR: The Top Guys tag-team stands firmly with CM Punk and many issues with The Young Bucks over tag-team booking decisions have also created backstage drama. The Young Bucks are in charge of booking the tag-team division and FTR does not agree on some of their decisions. A the ELITE vs CM Punk & FTR trios program would definitely drive ratings and interest.
Expect more AEW storylines to play off real-life drama as AEW looks to the road of ALL OUT 2023. Stay tuned to SW for the latest updates.